As one of the few INGOs with an operational presence in Ukraine, we are already responding with initial rescue activities in the Donetsk and Luhansk regions, with the intention of scaling up assistance in the central and from western Ukraine. We have also launched a support program for refugees arriving in Moldova, where we are also already present, and are studying another response in Poland.
We are now looking for passionate, professional and experienced humanitarian professionals to support our response to the crisis. We are looking for talent who thrives on collaborating with others (within HelpAge International and beyond) and who can work agile and across borders.
Main areas of impact, influence and responsibility
The Humanitarian Program Manager will be responsible for the overall management of the humanitarian response program in Moldova and Poland and will work closely with the Ukraine Country Director on the response in Ukraine. This will include program design and implementation, proposal preparation (with support from humanitarian staff), quality assurance and monitoring, donor and stakeholder representation, including media, security and overall personnel management.
- Develop a comprehensive programmatic response and ensure the humanitarian response is established
- Manage team members including Security Manager, Logistics Manager, Finance Manager, Communications Manager, Sector Advisors and HR Manager.
- Ensure the safety of all personnel and assets and compliance with external standards and internal requirements
- Main contact between HelpAge in Moldova and Poland and the HelpAge Global team
- Work closely with partner organizations to ensure a high quality coordinated response
- Principal representative to host governments, other officials, donors, UN agencies and other international and national NGOs
- Together with the Communications Officer, be HelpAge International’s main spokesperson in the field, which may include various media.
You will be someone with:
- Minimum 5-7 years managing large-scale, complex multi-sector programs in an acute emergency;
- Experience managing multi-donor funded projects including experience working with major emergency donors such as ECHO, FCDO, DEC
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to lead and work effectively in insecure environments subject to extreme pressure and stress;
- Thorough knowledge of humanitarian principles, standards and human rights.
- Be aware of potential tensions and sources of conflict within the disaster-affected population itself and with host communities.
- Recognize abusive, discriminatory or illegal activities and refrain from such activities;
- Strong oral and written communication skills in English required
- Speaks and writes Russian fluently
- Previous work experience in Eastern Europe and/or Ukraine
- Experience working with seniors
HelpAge International is entering an exciting phase in its evolution as we fundamentally transform what we do, how we do it and how we are organised. Driven by our commitment to the Localization program, we are evolving the way we partner and deliver value nationally and locally. Over the next 3 years, we will localize our country offices and programs and develop new and diverse forms of partnerships globally.
We seek to give primacy to local agents of change. To this end, we will replace all programs delivered by HelpAge staff and resources on the ground with implementation by partners. This will apply to all of our work – humanitarian and long-term development. Going forward, our value revolves around support, engagement and thought leadership.
A key way to create value and have impact is to collaborate across borders and by bringing together different perspectives, skills and talents. We will carry out our work through agile teams and a global operating model, with regional roots, to focus on impact and maintain relationships at the national level to help build collaborations and help others define their own schedules.
At HelpAge International we work hard to achieve our goals together as a team with a clear common goal. Our values guide the way we work together:
We respect people, appreciate diversity and are committed to equality.
We value and recognize the contribution of our staff and members of our network, as we place older people at the center of everything we do.
We work alongside network members and others to increase reach, influence and impact. We are committed to a culture of collaboration and building positive relationships.
We are passionate about learning, responsible and work together to find creative solutions.
Everyone who works at HelpAge shares our values and is committed to behaviors that demonstrate and support them.
Everyone has a role to play in creating and maintaining a safe and respectful work environment, where no one is harmed or mistreated. At HelpAge, we take our responsibilities very seriously and will take action against wrongdoing. We will do our best to ensure that we do not hire people who pose a risk to protection and will carry out criminal record checks where necessary.
HelpAge International is committed to creating an inclusive working environment, promoting and providing equal opportunities and respecting diversity in employment. We welcome applications from all suitably qualified individuals regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, gender and their sexual orientation.
How to register
To apply for a job with HelpAge, please submit the following documents:
- A cover letter explaining how you meet the requirements of the job profile. Please use bold headings for each requirement and provide examples.
- Your current curriculum vitae (3 pages maximum)
- Three referees, including your last employer
To be considered, please read the job description for more information and then email your application to [email protected] before the closing date.
Closing Date: We will review applications as they are received due to the urgent need to fill the position.
Important message: Be sure to remove personal information, including your date of birth, age, gender, and marital status, from your resume. Please do not include photographs.